Alliance of Women Directors is thrilled to bring you Special-Teas with AWD, supported by Netflix. This series of webinars feature Executive Producers, Directors, and Showrunners discussing their critically-acclaimed Netflix Shows.
Our first Special-Tea was a discussion with Showrunner/EP Susannah Grant and EP Sarah Timberman, moderated by AWD Emeritus Board Member Alexis Ostrander, about Netflix’s limited series “Unbelievable.”
- Shooting delicate material: how to create a safe environment for actors on set when filming sensitive/emotionally charged material
- Adapting material from real life stories: honoring the lives of real individuals while dramatizing them
- The collaborative process among the creative team (writer, director, producer): best practices for creating a positive working relationship
- Determining tone: taking the words on the page and building the visual world of the piece
We were thrilled to bring you another Special-Tea with AWD, supported by Netflix. This chat was about season two of the Netflix original series “Dead to Me” with Creator and EP Liz Feldman, and Directors Elizabeth Allen Rosenbaum and Silver Tree. The discussion was moderated by AWD Executive Board Member Nikki Braendlin.
- Establishing the tone of a show
- Grounding a narrative in both in humor and pathos
- Balancing intimacy with wild plot points
- Working as a Guest Director
It’s time for our next Special-Tea with AWD, supported by Netflix. Join AWD Executive Board Member Kim Furst and Director Jessica Hobbs as they discuss the episodes Jessica directed for season three of the Netflix original series “The Crown” following the life and reign of Queen Elizabeth II.
EPISODES to be discussed:
- “Moondust” – Episode 307
- “Cri de Coeur” – Episode 310
Topics will include:
- Directing historical drama
- Navigating fact vs fiction
- Working with the production team
We are excited to have launched our Q&A Series, “Sunday Tea with AWD” featuring many of our incredible Advisory Board and Honorary Board members, and high-profile industry guests. Join us each week as our speakers share their expertise on a wide range of topics related to the art of telling stories in film, television, and new media.
SUNDAY TEA GUESTS
ADDITIONAL INDUSTRY EVENTS
Gala honoring Ilene Chaiken, Greg Berlanti and the We Do It Together organization for their work toward gender parity in the entertainment industry. AWD member Jen McGowan was awarded the Alliance of Women Directors Breakout Award for Excellence in Directing.
Salon with Director & Senior Staff Attorney at the ACLU of Southern California, Melissa Goodman, to discuss solutions to pressing issue of lack of gender equality in Hollywood.
American Film Market (AFM) panel highlighting how women-driven stories can expand audiences and profitability. Moderated by Wendy Calhoun, panelists included AWD member Jen McGowan, Geena Davis, Jim Whitaker and Catherine Hand.