Alliance of Women Directors is 501(c)(3) nonprofit dedicated to the support and advocacy of women-identifying and gender non binary directors in the entertainment industry. We host tradecraft workshops, networking events, screenings, and highly popular educational seminars on the business of the industry. Each member has achieved professional status by having directed at least one long or short-form narrative film, television program, documentary, commercial, or new media program that has been recognized by the creative community.
Members are part of our exclusive searchable database, utilized by producers and production companies. They are eligible to apply for our In-House Shadowing and Industry Support programs, can participate in our Works in Progress Program, and are eligible to receive discounts and waivers on film festival submissions. Members receive free or discounted admission to AWD events, including our partnership workshops, panels, and mixers (NOTE: some events have limited seating). They have access to online resources, and discounts on industry goods and services.
Above all, with AWD, you have a built-in network of supportive creatives and like-minded professionals.
To qualify for Membership, you must have directed a publicly-aired feature film, TV episode, TV movie, documentary, commercial, or short film. Membership in AWD is open to directors who identify as women or who are gender non binary. To fill out an application form, go to our Join page.
Membership dues pay for the costs of our events (venues, refreshments, etc.), as well as for all online services provided to members (website upkeep, subscriptions services, etc). We are able to keep the yearly dues low because our members generously donate their time and energy to the organization.
Yes! We have a searchable database of our members. You can select different filters, such as genre and experience level, to generate a list of compatible directors for your project. When you contact directors for interviews, be sure to mention that you found them on the AWD searchable database.
Everyone is welcome to contribute their time and talents to AWD. Perhaps you are an events coordinator and would love to help us coordinate our members' bash, or an entertainment lawyer who wants to donate time advising our members. Or maybe you just love film and want to be around like-minded professionals. You can contact the Committee that fits your interests, or e-mail us at email@example.com and let us know how you’d like to become involved with AWD.
Additionally, some of our events are open to the public. Check out our Calendar and sign up when space is available.
Not at this time. However, students who meet our membership requirements are welcome to apply for membership.
Alliance of Women Directors (AWD) adheres to the values of integrity and inclusion and believe that culture and global connectedness advance when stories from all perspectives are told. AWD is dedicated to affecting positive, lasting change in the entertainment industry by increasing the number of working women-identifying and gender nonbinary directors in film, television, commercials, and new media. We accomplish this by:
- Providing education and professional support for members in the form of hands-on craft enrichment, mentorship, and education
- Developing and leveraging relationships with industry partners
- Partnering with like-minded organizations to increase our reach and impact
In keeping with the mission of Alliance of Women Directors, each member agrees to the guidelines set forth below with regard to the organization, its members, and our industry partners and guests:
- Act in a manner that is professional, courteous, empowering, respectful, and a positive reflection of the mission and values of AWD;
- Uphold the confidentiality of any sensitive information gained through AWD membership and adhere to the rules and guidelines set forth for each of our events and programs;
- Conduct oneself in a fair and good faith manner in dealings with AWD, its members, its partners, and its guests. Avoid taking advantage of another person or entity through manipulation, concealment, abuse of privileged information, misrepresentation of self or material facts, and/or engaging in other unfair practices;
- Refrain from entering into any agreements, partnerships, or sponsorships with any entities on behalf of AWD without written permission from the Executive Board of Directors and/or misrepresenting the interests of AWD to outside organizations for personal benefit. Please note that AWD cannot provide fiscal sponsorship to any members nor member projects;
- Acknowledge that any program or event using the AWD name and logo must be pre-approved by the Executive Board of Directors;
- Foster an ethical culture through one’s actions, keeping in mind the bigger picture of AWD’s reputation and mission to support and uplift marginalized voices in film, television, commercials, and new media.
In order to maintain a supportive organization, grievances, concerns, and recommendations are to be submitted in writing. This can be done through the Virtual Suggestion Box in the Member Center.
AWD reserves the right, without refund of any related costs, to limit or revoke membership for those who violate this Code of Conduct.
The AWD Code of Conduct will be updated here periodically, and it is the member’s responsibility to be aware of changes.
AWD encourages forthright business practices and accurate self-representation but assumes no responsibility, nor liability for any member’s individual content, nor business relationships made through AWD's website, events, or social media accounts.